Saturday 23 November 2013

Sewing a Christmas Dress

With all the upcoming Christmas functions I decided I wanted a Christmassy dress! I had a bit of a hunt around online as, of course, I wanted something a bit retro, but couldn't find anything that I loved.
It was my husband that suggested I make something...
Now, I haven't made anything since high school, except a couple of cushion covers. And I started a dress last year, but I lost my motivation. This time, however, I was motivated with a date looming of just over a week.

So, I chose some funky fabric.
 

And a pattern (nice and simple)

And got to work.
Whenever I wasn't sure what a term used in the instructions meant or had to do something like insert a zip, I used good old Doctor Google to help out. There are some really helpful people out there putting up video tips - thank you.

When I could see it was coming together, I decided to add a contrasting bow and make a matching headband.

And here is the finished outfit!

So now to look for a dressmaking course I think, so I can move onto something more complicated.

1 comment:

  1. Wow you clever thing! That dress looks gorgeous. I can imagine it'll be the first of many - since that way it can look exactly how you want. One day when I get those elusive moments of free time back I can imagine doing the same. One day!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...