Thursday 26 September 2013

Personal style and confidence

I wanted to talk about personal style and reactions of others. I am saddened to hear stories from a number of ladies - pinups and those who chose to dress in other styles - of rude or cruel reactions from others. I don't expect these sorts of reactions and I have never gotten them.

Quite often I will receive positive comments about some aspect of my attire as I go about my regular, daily activities - maybe my dress or hat or jewellery. Even in my local pub a lady rushed up to me asking where I got my handbag from as she wanted to get one just like it for her daughter.
The 'must have' handbag!
My style also makes me memorable! At a recent work related seminar the photographer snapped a picture of me and told me how she loved my style and remembered me from the previous year as my outfits were always lovely.
On the cover of a seminar brochure.
My work colleagues are also positive about my vintage/retro style. A couple of my insterstate colleagues have even saved newspaper clippings about vintage/retro stores and events I might be interested in.

Photographers are also keen to snap me and hubby when we are out on the town!
Here I am with my husband - notice how we got more than just a headshot!
Your style can be a great way for people to connect with you and begin a conversation. This happened recently at a travel writing course that I am attending. A lady who noticed my attire thought I might be interested in a photographer she knew of from New York - Ari Seth Cohen - who photographs 'stylish and creative older folks'. The following week she even brought in a copy of one of his books for me to look at! Now I am following his work and it is really inspirational.

So, if you think you will stand out by choosing to wear your own style - you will! Wear it with confidence and a smile and look for the positives and hopefully you will be lucky like me!

What are your experiences? I'd love to hear about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...