Wednesday 21 August 2013

Vintage shopping adventures

Polka Dot Vintage Markets and Antiques and Collectibles Fair

You never know what you will find at these markets, and it is often not what you are looking for, or is that what you are not looking for?!

Unfortunately I find that a lot of the 'vintage' clothes are from the 80s or 90s. If you are my age or older, you know that the 90s was only 'ten years ago' and does not qualify as vintage! What I am looking for is something nice and colourful from the sixties or classy from the 50s! They are there, but you have to look hard. This is one cute 60s dress I found at one of these markets not long ago.


The other problem I have when looking at vintage clothes is I am always drawn straight to the lurex! I think I must have been a magpie in a former life, because I love all the shinyness! I have to keep reminding myself I have enough lurex dresses!

What did I buy?

1950s manicure set - unused

 How many of you remember your grandma having one of these?

Unopened face powders. 

I couldn't resist these as they all had my name on! Rachel was the name of a popular colour of face powder in the early to mid 20th century.

Coffee Table Books

I love flicking through old coffee table books. There are loads of wonderful black and white pictures of the Hollywood stars. It's just not the same looking up stuff on IMDB!

 Cigarette cards

The subject of these cigarette cards is 'Film and Stage Beauties' and, as you can see, the pictures are just wonderful! It does make you wonder how many packets of cigarettes someone had to smoke to get the whole set.

Upcycled clock

I used to love playing Scrabble, although I suspect Dad might have let me win sometimes!
This unique clock is from NovelTea Vintage, who also make wonderful things from old tea cups and saucers.


What's your favourite vintage purchase?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...